So, anyway. Since summer weather has (very noncommittally) descended upon us, our intake of grilled things and fresh fruit has increased significantly. After a BBQ a week or so ago I found myself with a fridge full of leftover grilled corn on the cob, steak, and cantaloupe slices. The corn was sliced up and frozen, the steak was transformed into fajitas, and the cantaloupe turned into this tasty quick bread. Cantaloupe in bread? Weird, right? So I thought, but pureed cantaloupe makes for a very moist bread with a really mild flavor. Next time I make it I'll add in some nuts or dried fruit or something. It pretty much has the texture of pumpkin bread and is a great way to use up leftover melon (I imagine honeydew could be substituted with similar results).
Yield: 2 loaves
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup milled flax
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 cup canola oil
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 TBL vanilla
2 1/2 cups pureed cantaloupe
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees and grease two 9x5 loaf pans.
2. Mix together dry ingredients and set aside.
3. Beat oil, sugar, and eggs until well blended. Add vanilla and pureed cantaloupe and blend til combined.
4. Slowly add in dry ingredients and stir til just incorporated. Feel free to add in some walnuts and blueberries or chocolate chips or whatever else sounds good.
5. Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Weirdly, the cook time varies every time I bake quick bread so it may take closer to an hour. Just keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get overly brown.
6. Let cool in pan for ten minutes then turn loaves out on a cooling rack. Slice, and enjoy! I slathered slices of this with freshly made Oregon strawberry freezer jam and it was super tasty!
Well, it is now almost 8pm. Somehow it's taken me six hours to complete this entry. Between laundry, bug bombing, and baby maintenance, it has been a long day. We are hanging out at Gramma and Grammpa's house until it's safe to re-enter our own and Joe is currently chasing Dash around the sofa. Both boys are giggling like maniacs and I am thoroughly enjoying the happy sounds of a good evening after a tiring day.
|My two favorite boys.|